(Listen to this update or click here to listen on Patreon if more manageable, or read below.)
This week and next, I’m slowly beta launching the space I’d like to create for those of you who are patrons of Soulful Focus and thus members of the community. I’m pretty excited about this space and want to talk a little bit about why I chose the platform I did, what I have planned for it, and how the newly expanded and updated tiers of Patreon support will be accessing the space.
DISCORD AS A PLATFORM
First, I love Discord and it’s a Patreon-supported service, so new supporters can easily be given the correct access upon joining the community. Discord offers very robust and useable apps for almost any device and can also be used in a web browser. It’s functional, easily customizable, offers voice chat, and has really cool bots that can help me manage and support the community as it grows.
Second, I have felt since the very first days of Soulful Focus that I don’t want to manage a community in a space that requires active social media accounts. This isn’t because I don’t value social media as a tool, but because I want to create a space that can be separate from those stressors, available without a Facebook account, and accessible during social media breaks. This allows both you and me to access this space regardless of ongoing choices with regard to social media use.
Third, once fully oriented to the Discord platform, there is a lot of customization possible, including mutable channels, levels of access, and customizable alerts. I’m big on healthy boundaries, including necessary boundaries with technology and online connection. I don’t want to create spaces that will stress or overwhelm anyone in them, including myself.
SHIFTS WITH A MOVE TO COMMUNITY SPACE
One of the great things that an online community space will offer will be privacy for ongoing discussion, resource sharing, and access to me at whatever level you choose. So far that has only applied to online content that I’ve offered, but I also want you to get to know each other, geek out over things, get messier and more private access to me that will allow me to quickly show you things or get/give feedback without cluttering your inbox with an official Patreon post or dragging you over to the blog for what could be a quick chat.
To reflect the changes to my overall vision that have evolved while creating the Discord community, I’ve tweaked existing tiers and added a $10 tier. Rather than copy and paste a whole lot of info about each tier, I’ll suggest just popping over to look at the new set up and also assure you that you haven’t lost anything from any level.
Basically, there is still a $1 appreciation tier that comes with no perks, a $5 tier for behind-the-scenes content, coworking access, and unscheduled access to the community and me, a $10 tier that will include scheduled time together for live group support that will always include me, and the $20 tier is going to be a space-limited tier for an intimate group that will support each other and also get 1:1 access to me.Everyone supporting at a $5 level and up will get access to the Discord community and the higher tiers will have private spaces within that community for the perks that include just them.
WHAT CAN WE DO ON DISCORD?
Here are some of the things you’ll be able to access:
1. Open Sharing Circle – General chat for getting to know each other, chatting about anything and everything. (There’s also a Merriment Zone for memes, gifs, and other solely silly and irreverent chatting.)
2. The Intention Pool – This is a space in which to drop intentions and affirmations so they can be witnessed by the group for accountability or support. There’s a weekly reminder from our “Butler” bot each Sunday to review planners, look at the upcoming week, and share intentions.
3. Oracle Share – A dedicated chat for discussing divinatory tools, oracle decks, soul tending, astrology, and practice with new decks or systems by offering quick readings to each other. I love pulling a card or two when I’m getting to know a new deck and love seeing what systems and decks work for others.
4. Co-Working – Not only will you still have access to scheduled virtual coworking sessions with me (that can include 7 other people, or even more), you can now use a quick command (.amworking) in the chat to let others in the community know that you’re coworking in a shared virtual workspace and anyone can join you on the fly. There’s also now a bot that can create chat-based work sprints for when you need a timed work session but can’t be on camera. Tons of options!
5. Co-Existing – I recent fell down a Twitter rabbit hole and found this lovely, introvert-friendly thing called a silent book club, and a light bulb went off for me. I love the idea of sharing space not just for tackling tasks, but also to have someone to sip tea and journal/planner prep with, or briefly share what you’re reading and then actual read together, so I’ve create a quick command for this as well (.amscribbling / .amreading), with virtual spaces always available for each.
6. Community Tier Channels – These folx will get all of the above, plus private channels for discussing the seasonal work done between the seasonal live calls, an area for support before and after the scheduled sharing circle and office hours calls, links to recorded live calls, etc.
7. Sacred Space Channels – These folx will also get all of the above, access to the community tier area, and a super private area for themselves to discuss the work we’ll be doing together in a more intimate setting, including support around soul tending / spiritual work, more attention to personal projects and work being witnessed by the group.
Does this all sound really awesome? I’m hoping that it does. I’m really excited to get some active souls up and running so that we can have a private space to share how we’re navigating our daily and long term responsibilities, and so that you can all help me to continue to shape that space to suit your community needs!
For those of you who are already patrons at the $5 level or above, here’s a link to access the Discord community and get up and running during this beta testing phase. I’ll be more structured and active on the server once we hit that goal of 10 supporters, but all the features and channels I’ve mentioned are already up and running for your immediate use.
If you’re not a patron, I would love to have you on board! Message me if you have questions. If you’re on the fence, you can pop into the community for one month at that $5 level and if it isn’t for you, you can always adjust or cancel your Patreon support. Hope to see you there.